Wednesday 21 November 2018

The Best and Worst of the Birmingham Bike show

Just my luck, I thought a mid-week trip up to Birmingham to see all the new bikes - including that Triumph Scrambler I've been lusting about - would be nice and easy, no traffic. Hah! Torrential rain and sheer bad driving saw the M25 closed due to accidents, and my 2 hr journey turned to 5 hours. I'll be honest, I was in a foul mood, then had to pay £30 to get in - no senior discount. But then I saw this little yellow Vespa and just had to cheer up!

Back in the day - feet turned out a must.

After a little look around I headed over to the Triumph stand, full of anticipation, ready to sit on that new scrambler and ask questions before ordering one. I was slightly underwhelmed to see the bike in the metal, the paint schemes were a bit boring and to be honest, it looks a bit of a big old lump. However, not to be dissuaded, I spent time looking around it and asked the Triumph salesman all about it - and he wasn't the slightest bit interested in talking to me.

Looking bored
So I wandered off and spent time looking at the rest of the show - but feeling a bit disappointed.

No idea what this was!



Moody lighting - to disguise the boredom?
 Then I came across the CCM stand, and those little bikes look good! Hand-built in Bolton, Lancashire, fitted with a little 600cc single made by Husqvarna, they were just so nicely put together.
CCM Spitfire

Cafe racer

Now thats what I call a fairing - two girls behind it having a chat

New Indian 1200 Flat Tracker

Weird styling from long ago
 After wandering around a bit more I found myself back at the CCM stand looking at their bobber. Now I like the idea of the bobber, having a great interest in old Americana, but the reality is that a giraffe-like Englishman just doesn't fit on one. But I sat on it anyway, and it was comfortable (ish).
CCM Bobber
 Then I met Reggie, a lovely little Lancastrian who works for CCM assembling bikes. We chatted for quite some time, and he showed me all over the bike, we discussed every detail. I got so enthused by his obvious love for the bikes and the company that I put a deposit on a bobber!!

So now I am in a bit of a quandary; the sensible part of me says cancel the order, either stick with the Tiger or get that new scrambler (even though the salesman was a twat). But the romantic in me says get the bobber, open-face helmet & zip around looking .... well, probably like a giraffe on a moped!

What do you think Sonja? You usually have the best advice for me.

5 comments:

  1. Dear John, not really interested in a rant about a trade fair that seemed to have annoyed the heck out of you I just scrolled through the pics, and stopped dead at the CCM Scrambler. Wow, what a mighty pretty bike that is, I thought by myself, but probably coming with a price tag out of my range. However, I went back to reading your posting, and said: YES! By gosh, you did it. Go for it, my friend. When is it going to be delivered? Come visit the Black Forest, and show it off (maybe let me test ride the beauty?) Cheers, SonjaM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could change the order accordingly? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Sonja, I’m wobbling ; it was a really nicely put together bike. We even came up with a plan to lift the seat by 50mm to help my knees.
      Delivery is start of spring, I have to go to the factory & watch them put it together; there’s dozens of options. As for price, it’s much cheaper than the Triumph, although it is only a single.
      Thank you for your input - you’ve helped me to decide to go for it!!

      Delete
    3. Oh and that’s a definite for the test ride in the Black Forest for you. Can’t wait!!

      Delete
    4. Yes please. There will be a spare bedroom waiting for you if you like. Just let us know ahead.

      Delete