Sunday 18 March 2018

Alternative bike culture on the island (updated)

I've been looking at the different types of bike used here on the island. While the tourists go for the 4-wheel  off-road thingies, the locals seem split between cruisers and sports bikes - nothing different there, right? However, the cruisers are either Harley's or big Suzuki M1800's, pretty standard offerings with lashings of chrome; whereas the sports bikes mostly seem to sport madly elongated swing arms. I'd spotted a few, pretty ratty-looking things with faded paint and bald rear tyres, then the other day while downtown I heard that unmistakable noise that comes from big-bore bikes with minimal silencers. When I strolled over to look, there was a group of bikers sitting around drinking at an open-air bar, parked in front were a number of Suzuki Hayabusa's with those extended swing arms, but done really well. I have to say the guys all (apparently) had a bit of a 'fuck you' attitude to the passers by, as nicely emphasized by one guys' crash helmet graphics. I'm not sure what its all about; I did see plenty of similarly modified bikes in use so not just for show, it just seemed all wrong. Maybe its something to do with the theory of evolution, how birds on different islands develop different beaks .....?

Helmet says it all


Nicely done - although notice twin rear discs not plumbed-in


Update - today (Sunday) is Aruba flag day, a national holiday. I was minding my own business down on the beach when the sound of hundreds of bikes deafened me. I walked up to the road, and managed to snap a few more bikes. Right in front of me, two of those kooky Suzuki's pulled out of the parade, the riders obviously overheated as they parked and ran to a beach bar to get a cold beer. I approached them and politely asked why the swing arms were so extended. The answer came back 'for drifting'. Me, I'm still no wiser, but maybe one of you will know.






6 comments:

  1. Quite the biker scene on the island, which surprises me since they'd all have to come in by boat I'd imagine. I think drifting is sliding the back end around corners at a high rate of speed. Mostly done in cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, thanks for that, although I still can't get my head around bike drifting, and no back brakes! I'll have to google it when I get home.

      Delete
  2. Does my swing arm look big on this? Bizarre, must make corners a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N, my thoughts exactly. Luckily, there's only 4 corners on the island!

      Delete
  3. It's a small island... where are they going with these big weird looking bikes? Looks like men over there might have some compensation issue ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Sonja! And most of the roads are dirt! I only ever saw them riding up and down the 2 lane strip in front of the hotels.

      Delete