Thursday 19 May 2011

Ch..ch..ch..changes

There's been a few changes in the El D household recently; one was leaving my hovel and moving in with LF ( of the Jaguar adventure). I've gained considerably, as not only is the apartment nice and bright, there's also a garage at the rear in which to store and work on motorcycles :) - I also have a slightly smarter appearance as freshly ironed shirts appear in my wardrobe, seemingly by magic. I'm not exactly sure what I have to do in return, apart from being my usual happy-go-lucky self.***

On the motorcycle front, Helga has gone. I must admit I was a little uncomfortable, both with referring to an inanimate object by female name, and also 'cos the handlebar position hurt my wrists. I thought about modifications, but decided to move her on to a new home. I've now got a ratty Triumph to commute on, although as usual with all my impulse e-bay purchases this one is slightly lacking, mainly in the braking department, as the suprised schoolboy who stepped onto the pedestrian crossing in Kingston found out; I did wave as I swerved round him with the brake lever fully on and no apparent diminishiment (not sure if thats a word) in speed to try and convey an apology, but his two-fingered salute makes me think he mis-understood.



Anyway, as usual I'd already started buying some completely necessary chrome parts to bling it up, so the budget is a bit lacking; investigation of the internet forums (yeah, should have done that before I bought it) seems to indicate that the standard brakes are crap and I need to shell-out £500 for a Norman Hyde brake conversion. So at the moment I'm still commuting on it, but VERY slowly and with almost painful anticipation of the traffic conditions. It's still fun though.

*Charming
*Generous
*Ironic

8 comments:

  1. My old Honda had garbage brakes. I did a dual conversion, but it ran me a lot of change to get it done. I wouldn't go back and undo it, though. I feel so much more comfortable riding now, stopping distance is a wonderful thing.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorocycles and Life
    http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered using a braking parachute?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brady - your comment convinced me; I've ordered the brake upgrade kit. Thanks, El D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikos - wouldn't it be a bit of a pain repacking the 'chute at each traffic light? Actually, your comment has stimulated me to investigate the use of air brakes, made from large pieces tin and activated by pulling a large lever fixed to the left-side frame. Or I could just fit the upgraded brake kit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Triumph triples (have one myself), but even more, I am astonished at how the T'Birds hold their prices. You've bought a real future classic imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the move and on the Trumpet purchase.

    I am sure once you get the brake gremlins figured out you'll be race ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she irons shirts for you? I didn't even do that for the bloke I married. There's a reason for the invention of the laundrette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Affer and Trobairitz - here's hoping you're right about the Triumph.

    HWL - I'm a man in my 60's, either my Mum or my partner irons my shirts. Men work, women iron. Simples.

    ReplyDelete