Friday 6 April 2018

This wasn't really part of the plan

Got home last week and started unpacking, got a call from an old friend, just catching up. The usual stuff, then he asked "why aren't you working, you're fit enough". My honest answer was that no-one had asked me.
So now I'm sitting beside him in a site cabin, looking out across Antwerp docks at the old refinery being revamped. I've been walking around with boots and hard hat on, still wondering what I'm doing here! Still, the job's only for a few weeks, and (hopefully) will help pay for my last couple of foreign trips.
Hopefully I'll be able to explore old Antwerp this weekend, it looks quite picturesque. Oh and I've found two vegan restaurants near my cheap-and-cheerful hotel, so am eating well. The only slight disappointment was not being able to bring my old Jeep over for transport while I'm here - Antwerp has a Low Emmision zone that encompasses most of the city and the Jeep is deemed a major pollutant and not allowed in. Shame.

4 comments:

  1. You are traveling around a bit aren't you? It sounds like a few weeks work will be a good thing for you. Nice that you found some vegan eats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, just had a lovely day, 20degC here, wandering around the old town in the sun. Tasty vegan meal finished off with chocolate cake!! Work will be good for me, I need some structure in my life, think I've been having too much fun! Missing the Tiger though.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to Europe, John. Your friend is right, you still got it. Enjoy Antwerp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja. My first weekend here was great, nice sunny weekend visited Brussels and Antwerp old town. Hoping to see more each weekend, maybe venture down to the Black Forest at the end of the job!!

      Delete